LOLAFRICA journey to Uganda

Glory to God, who's power working in us can do infinitely more than we can ask or Imagine....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalagala, Uganda

Saturday, September 16, 2006

My Journey to Uganda was Long (three days) but went smoothly...I was blessed with wonderful people to help me and who talked with me, and who spent time with me as we waited for out flights...I must say thank you to Les, David, Julie and Naomi for your beautiful, open personalities and kindness. Thanks also to God, for guiding me safely across the ocean, across the continent of Africa, and into the safe arms of my new country - Uganda.

I stepped off the plane into the darkness of Uganda before the sun spills over the horizon and brings with it the heat of the day. In this darkness, as I walked acroos the tarmack, I could not see any of my new home...oh but I could smell it! Imagine what the earth must have smelled like on the day of it's creation...deep, dark, moist, rich earth...clean, pure, unspoiled by man. The air was damp, the smell was of the earth, our earth...the way she must have smelled on the day God called her into being. It was familiar to me, in a strange way, maybe far back in the memory of my blood...i recognized the earth from which Adam was formed. I have never experienced an aroma quite like this and I feel my words fly away like dust as I try to describe it.

So I am now in my Fourth day in Uganda..so much has happened, I have observed more than my brain can process, I have no words to properly describe all that I have seen without writing a short novel. I was not prepared for the reality of Africa, and though I have come to be comfortable here in the past few days...I was quite overwelmed upon arrival and literally felt like a fish out of water, to use an old cliche'.

The people here are wonderful and i have been continually blessed with their willingness to help me to understand, to help me to find my way, to help me to know what and how to eat! I am like a little baby again, learning the ways of this life...the culture of my new land. When I came to my host house, I heard "welcome home" and it has felt like that...i am welcome, i am welcome to create for myself a place to learn and grow, a place to give and to share - a place of safety...a sanctuary.

Next time I write I will describe some of the things I have seen...for now I will let them perculate ... I am safe, I am happy. I am challenged and I am growing - I can feel it!!

I also feel the love that flows to me across these many miles from my true home...and I am blessed...I am blessed.

2 Comments:

Blogger lareunoia said...

beautiful writing!! i can feel it. i can smell it. keep it going.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Jarrett said...

You rock Lola! It's so rad your in Uganda, you are going to have the coolest time ever! Anyways, just wanted to let you know that we're all thinking about you and we hope to hear from you regularly!

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home